Mission and Vision
Deans and Chairs
First 100 Days
Advising - OASIS
Centers - Initiatives
Make a Gift to COE
Apply to UMSL
The College of Education at UMSL offers authentic, in-depth learning experiences to prepare current and future education professionals for transformative roles in their communities and careers. UMSL education students learn from and work alongside leading scholars to graduate as innovators and leaders in a wide range of career fields.
The University of Missouri St. Louis’ College of Education, as part of Missouri’s land-grant, research university, will be a leader in the ongoing development of educators for instructional, leadership, research and other roles in traditional and non-traditional learning communities. The College is a collaborative teaching and learning environment and is committed to advancing the quality of teaching, learning, and research as it serves a dynamic, technologically advanced, and diverse metropolitan community.
- Effective educators understand, embrace, and celebrate diversity
- Effective educators recognize inequities and act in ways that bring about social justice
- Effective educators use diverse, culturally responsive strategies to provide for the individual needs of all learners
- Effective educators practice and model ethical behavior
- Effective educators use technology to increase student engagement and expand learning opportunities for all learners
- Reflective educators make decisions about best educational practice based on existing and emerging research
- Successful learners and effective educators engage in self-reflection, critical inquiry, and creative endeavors
- Active engagement is vital to learning
- Partnership and collaboration among educators, other professionals, parents, students, and the community at large are essential to the learning process
- Lifelong learning and professional development facilitate adjustment to a constantly changing world
- An organization’s structure must be consistent with and supportive of its vision
College of Education values and promotes the diversity of scholarly inquiry to contribute to understanding all aspects of education and to shed light on best practices in education.
Collaboration and Partnerships
The College of Education creates and supports programs and partnerships by strengthening relations with community-based organizations, public and private schools, colleges, and universities, adult and community education programs in diverse local, national and international agencies.
Professional Development and Lifelong Learning
The College of Education promotes and supports the professional development and lifelong learning of educators, university faculty, staff and administrators, and learners in the workplace for the benefit of the broader community.
Accessible Graduate Programs
The College of Education offers a broad range of general and specialized graduate programs that attract quality applicants who want to lead a variety of educational endeavors for individuals across the life span.
The College of Education serves as a conduit through which scholars acquire and apply knowledge that can be disseminated to students, the campus, and the larger academic community. Ongoing faculty development relies on consistent financial support and growth opportunities from the college and university.
The College of Education affirms, embraces, and supports the heterogeneity implicit to the human experience and challenges oppressive attitudes and environments.
The College of Education identifies what is necessary in a just, fair, and equitable society and promotes these ideals and practices with evenhandedness to bring about justice, fairness, and equal access in educational systems and the broader community.
The College of Education supports technology as a seamless means for communicating and working toward flexible learning within a global society.
The College of Education analyzes the effectiveness of its internal organization and modifies its culture, including its structure, climate, collaborative decision-making and policymaking, management philosophy and attitudes, and responsibilities.
The College of Education pursues new internal and external financial and human resources, consistent with its urban mission and vision, to support the constituents and work of the College of Education and its partners.
An Environment for Well-being
The College of Education commits to maximizing human potential by providing teaching, learning, working, and creative environments that contribute to the holistic well being of all individuals and engender stewardship of the natural environment.
Civic Engagement, Democracy, and Civil Society
The College of Education values and promotes the development of civic- minded, responsible, and engaged citizens who actively participate in democratic processes and institutions.
Advocacy, Impact, and Alumni Relations
The College of Education:
- Publicizes the strengths and accomplishments of the College of Education and aggressively works to advocate for, and to improve public perceptions of the College of Education.
- Demonstrates to the public the positive effect of the College of Education on student achievement in the schools, on the quality of life in the community, and on the professional performance of its graduates.
- Cultivates collaboration with its alumni to build, to refine, and to extend the vision of the College of Education.