Brian Hutchison, Ph.D.Associate Professor
Coordinator of the School Counseling Program
Brian Hutchison, Ph.D., LPC, NCC, is an Associate Professor, International Studies Fellow, and Coordinator of the School Counseling Program at the University of Missouri – St. Louis. Dr. Hutchison received his doctorate degree in Counselor Education & Supervision from Pennsylvania State University. Brian currently serves as President-elect of the Asia-Pacific Career Development Association (APCDA) and Treasurer of the National Career Development Association (NCDA). Currently, he serves as Associate Editor of the Journal of Humanistic Counseling, on the editorial board of the Career Development Quarterly and the Phranakhon Rajabhat University Graduate School Journal, and as a special advisor to the Korean Journal of School Education.
Dr. Hutchison’s scholarship can be broadly described as focused within two primary counseling domains, school counseling and career counseling. These broad themes are infused into two primary scholarship areas: social class issues in counseling and international/multicultural/social justice issues in counseling. To this end, he has more than two dozen publications pertaining to social class bias in school counseling, career theory, career counseling, school counseling, academic advising, and specific counseling interventions. Recent publications include peer-reviewed articles in Journal of Counseling & Development, Journal of Humanistic Psychology, Equity & Excellence in Education, and Career Development Quarterly and textbook chapters in more than one dozen books published by professional organization presses.
457 Marillac Hall
Recent News and Updates
Brian Hutchison received his Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision and his M.Ed. in College Student Affairs Counseling from Pennsylvania State University. His undergraduate degree (B.A.) was in Social Studies/Secondary Education from Lock Haven University. He is a National Certified Counselor (NCC) and Licensed Profeessional Counselor in Missouri.
Dr. Hutchison is a member of the American Counseling Association (ACA), National Career Development Association (NCDA), Counselors for Social Justice (CSJ), and the Association for Humanistic Counseling (AHC). He currently serves as a review board member for the J Journal of Humanistic Counseling, and an ad hoc reviewer for the Career Development Quarterly.
Dr. Hutchison is a graduate of the NCDA Leadership Academy, Past-president of the Missouri Career Development Association (MoCDA), a member of the American Counseling Association of Missouri (ACAM) Executive Board, and a member of Chi Sigma Iota (CSI). He is past-president of both the Rho Alpha Mu chapter of CSI and the Pennsylvania Career Development Association. His strong commitment to social justice and diversity are exemplified by his past service to departmental Diversity Climate committees and the LGBTA mentorship program at Pennsylvania State University.
Dr. Hutchison's teaching interests include Personal & Professional Development in Counseling, School Counseling Practicum/Field Experience, Foundations of School Guidance, Multicultural Counseling, Group Counseling, and Career Counseling & Development.
Research and Scholarship
Dr. Hutchison's scholarly interests include the school counseling relationship, school counseling theory, cultural bias in counseling, poverty and social class, career development and counseling, school and career intervention evaluation, and counselor education.
Recent Journal Publications
Hwang, M., Choi, H., Lee, A. Culver, J., & Hutchison, B. (In press). The Relationship between Self-Efficacy and Academic Achievement: A 5-Year Panel Analysis. Research article submitted to The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher.
- Hwang, M.H., Lee, D., Lim, H.J., Seon, H.Y., Hutchison, B., Pope, M. (2014). Academic underachievement and recovery: Exploring student perspectives on effective interventions. Career Development Quarterly.
- Hutchison, B., Pangelinan, J., & Rankins, M. (2014) Mark Pope: Counseling’s Sacred Weaver. Journal of Counseling & Development.
- Taylor, J.Z., Hutchison, B., & Cottone, R.R. (2013)). Existentially-Based Individual and Group Counseling Models for Adult Cancer Survivors. VISTAS.
- Lemberger, M.E., & Hutchison, B. (2013). Advocating Student-within-Environment: A Humanistic Approach for Therapists to Animate Social Justice in the Schools. Journal of Humanistic Psychology.published online 28 December 2012 DOI: 10.1177/0022167812469831
- Simons, J.D., Hutchison, B., & Bastecka, Z. (2012). Counseling in the Czech Republic: History, Status, and Advancement Recommendations. Journal of Counseling & Development, 90, 233-237.
- Choi, S., Hutchison, B., Lemberger, M.E., & Pope, M. (2012). A longitudinal study of the developmental trajectories of parental attachment and career maturity for Korean adolescents. Career Development Quarterly, 60(2), 163-177.
- Hutchison, B. (2011). The Influence of Perceived Poverty on Schools Counselor Ratings of Attraction and Disturbance. Equity & Excellence in Education.
Recent Textbook Publications
- Hutchison, B., Niles, S.G., & Trusty, J.G. (2014, In press). Career Development in Schools: An Historical Perspective. In G. Eliason & J. Patrick (Eds.). Career Development Across the Lifespan: Counseling for Community, Schools, higher Education, and Beyond. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Wilson, C., & Hutchison, B. (2014, In press). Foundations of Career Theory: Holland and Supers' Theories. In G. Eliason & J. Patrick (Eds.). Career Development Across the Lifespan: Counseling for Community, Schools, higher Education, and Beyond. Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing.
- Hutchison, B., Stauffer, M.D., & Bloch, D.P. (2012). Using information & technology. In D. Capuzzi & M.D. Stauffer (Eds.). Career Counseling: Foundations, Perspectives, and Applications. New York: Routledge.
- Hutchison, B. (2011). Adding a splash of color to my life as a book. In T.M. Lara, M. Pope, & C.W. Minor (Eds.) Experiential Activities for Teaching Career Counseling and for Facilitating Career Groups (Volume III).Broken Arrow, OK, NCDA Press.
- Hutchison, B. (2011). Exploring the good life. In T.M. Lara, M. Pope, & C.W. Minor (Eds.) Experiential Activities for Teaching Career Counseling and for Facilitating Career Groups (Volume III).Broken Arrow, OK, NCDA Press.
- Hutchison, B. (2011). Gaining perspective on workplace conflict. In T.M. Lara, M. Pope, & C.W. Minor (Eds.) Experiential Activities for Teaching Career Counseling and for Facilitating Career Groups (Volume III).Broken Arrow, OK, NCDA Press.
- Hutchison, B. (2010). The Working Poor Simulation Exercise. In M. Pope, A. Coker, & J. Pangelinan (Eds.). Experiential Activities for Teaching Multicultural Counseling Classes and Infusing Diversity into Core Classes. Alexandria, VA: ACA Press.
- Niles, S. G., Trusty, J., & Hutchison, B. (2010). Career development interventions in the schools. In B. T. Erford (Ed.). Professional school counseling: A handbook of theories, programs, & practices. Austin, TX: Pro-Ed.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Cooper, Y., & Hutchison, B. (2015). Reimagining Career Counseling for African-American Male Students Using an Anti-Deficit Framework. Presentation at the National Career Development Association Annual Conference. Denver, CO.
- Hutchison, B. (2015). Career Counseling in Emerging Markets: An Encore Panel of International Career Professionals. Presentation at the National Career Development Association Annual Conference. Denver, CO.
- Hutchison, B., Ahn, S., Balin, E., Kamal, A. M., & Tien, H. S. (2014). Entering a New Era: An International Panel of Career Development Professionals. Presentation at the National Career Development Association Annual Conference. Long Beach, CA.
- Anctil, T., Morscheeck, M., Hutchison, B., & Rivera, L. (2014). Learning Through Experience: Creative Approaches to the Developing Poverty Competence. Presentation at the National Career Development Association Annual Conference. Long Beach, CA.
- Hutchison, B. (2014). Chaos Theory of Careers and the Changing World-of Work: Using Attractors to Plan Effective Interventions. Presentation at the Asia-Pacific Career Development Association Annual Conference. Honolulu, HI.
- Hubbard, K., & Hutchison, B. (2014). Refining Our “Different” Adult Voice: A Relational-Cultural Approach to School Counseling Practice. Presentation at the American Counseling Association of Missouri Annual Conference. Jefferson City, MO.
- Wilson, C. J., Hutchison, B. & Vossenkemper, T., & Granger, D. (2013). The Experiences of African American School Counselors Working with African American Youth. Presentation at the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference. Denver, CO.