Office of Clinical Experience Home
Early Field Work with Community Agencies
Community Agency Partners
Information for Teacher Candidates
Inquiry into My Practice (IMP)
Information for BES Students
Information for Clinical Educators
Information for Clinical Teachers
Digital Devices, The Teaching Channel and Use of Video
A teacher candidate must successfully complete all six steps of the application process before she or he may be placed at a practicum site. It is solely the responsibility of the teacher candidate to correctly follow the instructions that are outlined below.
Step 1: FCSR Background Check
You are required to go to the Family Care Safety Registry (FCSR) website to complete your registration online.
- You will pay $13.00 for a lifetime registration and will receive your background checks via mail to the address you provide.
- You must upload your background check to MyCOE.
- You must update this document YEARLY to the Portal as checks must be within one calendar year to be considered valid.
- Although you may obtain lifetime membership, you must request a new check YEARLY by calling 1-866-422-6872. When you receive your new check, be sure to upload it.
- By law, no outside background checks can be accepted. Your background check must come from the FCSR.
Family Care Safety Registry
Step 2: TB Test Results
You are required to get a TB test, which can be administered by the University Health Services in the MSC, Walgreens Take Care Clinics, the Department of Public Health, or by your physician.
- You must provide negative TB test results and upload them to the MyCOE YEARLY. As with FCSR background checks, the results are considered invalid after one calendar year.
- The test will be administered and must be read by the physician within 48 hours, so plan your visit accordingly.
- If your TB test results are positive, you must provide us with a clear chest x-ray in its place.
- If you get TB test results from UMSL's University Health Services, be sure to scan and submit both pages of the 2-page document.
University Health Services
Step 3: Academic Audit
You are required to complete an academic audit, which consists of a fillable web form that is available when you are logged on in the application section of the MyCOE.
The web form includes fillable fields for personal information, a personal statement (prompt given), and a course worksheet detailing completed/future coursework.
About Your Academic Audit
Step 4: Substitute Certificate
You are required to go to the 'Educator Certification' section of the DESE website in order to obtain a substitute certificate.
- Register and obtain a six-digit profile number.
- Select 'Applying for a Substitute Certificate' and follow the steps to submit your application.
A $50.00 fee applies.
- Send official transcripts that have a minimum of 60 credit hours. Your six-digit profile number must be included.
Educator Profile Number: ###### (your number here)
PO Box 480
Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Get an FBI Fingerprint Check: In order to obtain a sub certificate, a teacher candidate must complete an FBI Fingerprint Check. Register with the Missouri Automated Criminal History Site(MACHS) Fingerprint Portal. When asked for a four-digit registration number, use 2300.
- Additional information regarding the Background/Fingerprint guidelines can be found through DESE.
DESE Web Log In
Missouri Automated Criminal History Site
Step 5: Resume
Step 6: Letter of Reference
You are required to obtain an authentic letter of reference from a person for whom you have worked, and you must submit this letter in the MyCOE.
All documentation must be complete in the MyCOE by the stated deadline.