Skip to main content


Who is my advisor?

Program Degree(s) Advisor
Elem Ed and Spec Ed
Elem Ed and TESOL
Elem Ed, Spec Ed, and TESOL
BS Ed, BES Kate Nuelle (last names A-K)

ShaQuina White (last names M-Z)
Bachelor of Educational Studies (BES) BS Ed Ellen Duncan
Early Childhood Education/Special Education and Early Childhood BES BS Ed Kate Nuelle
Elementary Education - Reading MEd Susan Johnson
Secondary Education - English BS Ed ShaQuina White
Secondary Education - Social Studies BS Ed Kate Nuelle
Secondary Education - Chemistry, Physics, and Biology BS Ed Kate Nuelle
Secondary Education - Mathematics and Foreign Languages BS Ed ShaQuina White
K-12 Art, Music BS Ed Princess Davis
K-12 Physical Education BS Ed ShaQuina White
Middle School - all subjects BS Ed Kate Nuelle
Special Education and Autism Certificate MEd Susan Johnson (last names A-L)
Marty Woytus (last names M-Z)
Counseling - School and Community Mental Health MEd Susan Johnson (last names A-L)
Marty Woytus (last names M-Z)
Higher Education Administration MEd Shawn Woodhouse
TESOL and QTEL MEd Susan Johnson (last names A-L)
Marty Woytus (last names M-Z)
Education Administration MEd Susan Johnson (last names A-L)
Marty Woytus (last names M-Z)
Secondary Education - Curriculum and Instruction, General emphasis MEd Susan Johnson (last names A-L)
Marty Woytus (last names M-Z)
All MEd Programs MEd Susan Johnson (last names A-L)
Marty Woytus (last names M-Z)

I want to change my assigned advisor. How do I request another advisor?

Advisor assignments are determined by advisors’ areas of expertise or in the case of Elementary Education are divided by the alphabet for even distribution of students. Because of this, it is not possible to select a different advisor. If necessary, contact the Associate Dean of Students, Dr. Woodhouse, at (314) 516-5889.

Where are you located?

We are located on the South Campus of UMSL, on Natural Bridge Road across from Lucas Crossing Elementary School. If you are traveling East on Natural Bridge you will pass the north campus (University Blvd) and go approximately three blocks. Make a right turn onto East Drive, pass the South Campus Metro Link station and proceed to the first stop sign. Make a right turn onto South Drive. You will see of our building and parking lot. There is a large sign in front of the building, "South Campus Classroom Building."

Where do I park?

Park in lot XX in front of the former Barnes Library. There is also metered parking outside of Marillac Hall for visitors.

How do I look up a course to see if it is offered this semester?

Access MyView and click on Schedule of Courses to the left.

How do I register for a course?

Access MyView, then enter SSO id and password to log in. Select Self Service and under the Academic Planning tab, select Enrollment Shopping Cart, select Term, and then Search to locate classes to add to your cart. Once all courses are added to the shopping cart, follow prompts to enroll. (Note: When you have registered for all of the courses, there will be a green check mark next to the courses. If there is a red “X” next to a course, you may have some form of an academic or financial hold or you may not meet the requirements. Please see your advisor.)

I have applied to UMSL and I want to see if I have been accepted.

Any questions regarding undergraduate admissions should be directed to Admissions (314) 516-5451. Questions regarding graduate admissions should be directed to the Graduate School Admissions Office at (314) 516-5458.

I want to see if my transcript has been received from St. Louis Community College or I want to check my records from a previous degree earned at UM-St. Louis.

Any questions regarding transcripts or records can be directed to the Registrar who can be reached at (314) 516-5545. Transcript information and other records are available through MyView.

Which credentials are necessary to teach in the state of Missouri?

For the most up-to-date information, read the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education web site.

Which programs are available in the UMSL College of Education?


Locate the COE website and find the "Programs/Degrees" link.

I've been accepted to UMSL and want to apply to the College of Education. What do I need to do?

Once you finish your General Education Requirements and take the two or three Level I Education Courses you need to apply to the Teacher Education Program (T.E.P).

Can you explain the Teacher Certification options that are available?

For those who already have a B.A. or a B.S. degree but are considering a career change and wish to teach in a Missouri public school from early childhood to grade 12, UMSL offers the Teach in 12 program which consists of 36-45 credit hours as well as Practicum I and II in our Studio Schools.


Teach in 12

What is Practicum I and Practicum II?

Practicum I is a site-based experience in a school. (It used to be referred to as an 'Internship' or 'Classroom Observation.') Practicum I courses earn 3 credit hours. Practicum II is an immersive site-based experience in a school. (It used to be referred to as 'Student Teaching.') Practicum II courses earn 12 credit hours in the Bachelor of Science in Education (BSED) programs and 8 hours in the Graduate Degree programs.

What are the deadlines for completing the Practicum I application?

ForBachelor of Science in Education (BSED):

May 31 for the following spring

December31 for the following fall

See your advisor for PI deadline dates for Graduate Teacher Certification options.

See the Clinical Experiences webpage for more information.

I have a concern regarding my application or placement for my Practicum.

Check with your advisor regarding Practicum applications and check with Clinical Experiences (314) 516-6792 regarding placements.

Which Assessments are required in the College of Education (COE)?

You can review an updated list of required assessments that the state of Missouri requires of all students on the COE Websiteor the DESE Website.

I need to register for MoGEA. How do I obtain more information?

Access their website for more information.

I have a question regarding MoCA or MOGEA assessments. Whom can I contact?

There are actually three options-

  1. Talk to your Academic Advisor

  2. Contact the Campus Testing Center 314-516-6396.

  3. Review the Assessment matrix located online on the OASIS Advising website.

How do I have my MOGEA scores transferred to UM-St. Louis from another Higher Education Institution?

Contact MOGEA and request that they send you the scores in a sealed envelope. DO NOT Open this envelope! Bring this envelope to OASIS in room 116 South Campus Classroom Building. Also, if you know you will be attending UMSL, please list UMSL as a score recipient.

I'm having trouble uploading my Background check and/or TB test using MyCOE.

The Teaching & Learning Center (TLC) can assist students with uploading the TB Test and/or Background checks using MyCOE. They are located in 100 Marillac Hall or can be contacted at 314-516-4800.

Any questions or inquiries regarding practicum coursework, clinical experience hours, or background/TB tests can be addressed to Clinical Experiences, room 203, South Computer Building, to Chrissy 314-516-6792 or Stephanie 314-516-6741.

Am I on the graduation list for the current semester?

Any questions or concerns regarding the status of the graduation list should be directed to Laura at 314-516-5937. Be sure to complete a Graduation or Certification Application which ensures your placement on the correct list.

How do I apply for Missouri Teacher Certificaiton or Graduation?

Fill out the correct application below and turn it in to OASIS in room 116 in the South Campus Classroom Building.

I graduated, and I have reviewed the DESE website. My degree or certification has not been recorded and I need to have this for an interview/job.

It takes 6 to 8 weeksfrom the date of submission to receive credential information from DESE. For example, for May graduates UMSL has until late June to submit your records and verify all the necessary information with DESE, and the results should be available by early to mid-July. If a student needs pending certification documentation to submit to an employer, please contact Laura at Please provide your name, student number, major/certification area, graduation/certification date, assessment(s) taken and the examination dates.

When should I expect to receive my diploma after graduation?

It can take 6 to 8 weeks after graduation to receive your diploma, and 8-14 weeks after graduation to verify your certification on the DESE website.

Where and to whom do I send a Verification of Certification form for the signature of the Certification Officer (CO)?

Email to Laura Watt ( in OASIS and she will process and have out Certification Officer sign the form. We will return by mail, email or it may be picked up in room 116 South Campus Classroom Building. Call Laura at 314-516-5939 for further information.

I've applied for the Master's of Education and I want to check on my admission status.

Any questions regarding Graduate application status should be directed to the department they are applying to the graduate admissions office or respective graduate program director in the COE.

Counseling & Family Therapy: Contact Dr. Susan Kashubeck-West at (314) 516-6091 or

Educational Leadership: Contact Dr. James Shuls at (314) 516-6528 or

Educational Psychology: Contact Dr. Donald Gouwens at(314) 516-4773 or

I am a doctoral student and have a question regarding my paperwork i.e. ED 1-7. To whom can I speak?

Contact Laura Watt at 314-516-5939. She is located in 116 SCCB. She does all doctoral tracking.

How do I obtain a copy of a previous class Syllabus?

These may or may not be available, depending on the year and the individual professor.

Call instructional services to speak with Charlie McDaniel at (314) 516-5945

What is the Education Specialist (Ed.S) Degree?

It is a 60 hour program with 2 emphasis areas available: Educational Administration or Educational Psychology.

Contact Don Gouwens at 314-516-4773 for further information regarding the Educational Pyschology program.

Contact Dr. James Schuls at 314-516-6528 for further informationregarding the Educational Administration program.

Is there any difference between the Non Degree Teacher Certification and the Post Baccalaureate Teacher Certification?


Who do I contact to obtain a permission number for a class?

For all undergraduate permission numbers, please visit the MyCOE Consent Number application:

I have a question about my M-1 or other graduate level paperwork.

These questions should be directed to your Faculty Advisor.

I would like information on the Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) certification?


This program, per its set of graduate courses listed below, is nationally-certified and approved at UMSL by the national Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB)in Florida. As one of only two university-based, BCBA-approved and BACB website-listed programs in Greater St. Louis, the program provides required content and processes that meet the criteria for the credential of BCBA Certification. The licensure-based curriculum of knowledge and skills, embedded in the courses, is taught by area behavior specialists who have earned the BCBA Therapist credential. The set of courses, listed below, are open only to cohort-based program participants who will later, and independently, apply to sit for the national BCBA Certification Examination (per the BACB website stipulations and instructions).

COURSES: SPECED6630 Fall Semester SPECED6650 [practicum I] Spring Semester SPECED6660 Summer Semester SPECED6670 [practicum II] Fall Semester Following satisfactory completion of SPECED6670, a brief, pre-examination seminar for the cohort members who apply to take the BCBA Licensure Examination is offered early in the Spring Semester.

Who do I contact for more information on BCBA?

The contact person for this program is Dr. Pat Kopetz. Her phone number is 314-516-6557 and her email is

Do you have any information regarding what kinds of jobs are available for those with College of Education degrees and what the salary could be?

The link below is from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and may be a helpful reference. As stated in the report, jobs in education, training, and library occupations are influenced by school enrollments and budgets.