How can I get certified to teach in Missouri?

For the most up-to-date information, consult the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. To see the certification programs UMSL offers, go to our Program Explorer.

How do I see if my transcripts have been received or if I have been accepted at UMSL?

You can check with the Office of Admissions. You can reach this office by phone at 314-516-5451. International students can call +1-314-516-5753. If you are applying to Teach in 12, you should check with the COE advisor you have been working with.

How do I have my MoGEA scores transferred to UMSL from another institution?

If you know you will be attending UMSL, please list UMSL as a score recipient when you register to take the test. If you have not done this, contact your prior institution and request that they send you the scores in a sealed envelope. Do not open this envelope! Take the sealed envelope to your advisor. 

How do I look up a course to see if it is offered this semester?

Try this link: Instructions for class search using student center. This page can also be found on the page for the Office of the Registrar under Class Offerings.

Who do I contact to obtain a permission number for a class?


Doctoral students: Please contact your instructor and Diane Goodwin. For dissertation courses (EDUC 7998 and 7999 and EDUC 7050/7950, please contact your faculty advisor and Diane Goodwin

All other graduate students: Please contact your academic advisor.

How do I register for a course?

All COE undergraduates are required to meet with their advisor before they may register for classes.

  • Access MyView, then enter SSO ID and password to log in.
  • Select Self Service and under the Academic Planning tab, select Enrollment Shopping Cart, select Term, and then Search to locate classes to add to your cart.
  • Once all courses are added to the shopping cart, follow the prompts to enroll. (Note: When you have registered for all of the courses, there will be a green check mark next to the courses. If there is a red “X” next to a course, you may have some form of an academic or financial hold or you may not meet the requirements. Please see your adviser.)

I'm having trouble uploading my background check and/or TB test using MyCOE.

The Teaching & Learning Center can assist students with uploading the TB test results and background checks. The TLC is located in 100 Marillac Hall and can be contacted at 314-516-4800.

I am a graduate student. Who can I contact with a question regarding my paperwork? 

EdD, PhD and all students in higher education programs should contact Alexandra Gresick at 314-516-5107. All other students should contact their academic advisor.

How do I access records and transcripts from a degree I received at UMSL?

Check with the Office of the Registrar (314-516-5545) for information about requesting your UMSL transcripts. You can also find information about your academic records under the Self Service tab in MyView.

How do I obtain a copy of a previous class syllabus?

Send an emailed request to

How long after the end of my program will it take to get my diploma and for my certification to be finalized?

You can expect to receive your diploma about two months after the graduation ceremony. It takes 10 to 12 weeks after commencement (or the end of your alternative certification program) for your teacher certification to appear on the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education website. For example, if you graduate in May, UMSL has until late June to submit your records and verify all the necessary information with DESE, and the results should be available by early to mid August.

If you need pending certification documentation to submit to an employer, please contact your advisor.