Contact an Advisor
Hours and Location
Sample 4-Year Plans
Dates and Events to Remember
Graduation and Certification
MoGEA and MOCA Tests
Office of Clinical Experience and Partnerships
News and Information
Contact your advisor with any questions related to your graduation or certification status.
Please work with your advisor and consult the information posted at Graduating on Time.
Before your final semester
- You can go to MyDegree for a self-audit of your progress towards your degree. Be aware that for teacher certification, it is not always 100% accurate and your advisor will have the best information.
- You will receive a letter from your advisor to let you know whether you are on track or missing any requirements to graduate during the semester you have planned.
- Meet with your academic advisor before enrolling in your final semester to review this letter and plan for any coursework you still need or tasks you must complete.
- Go to UMSL Career Services and explore the services offered. Here you will find information about job fairs, creating your resume, preparing for interviews, and more.
- BSEd/P1 students only: Go to Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (nesinc.com) to register for the Missouri Content Assessment Test (MOCA). You will be able to graduate without having passed this test, but you will not be able to become a certified teacher in the state of Missouri.
During your final semester
- Apply to graduate. You can do this through MyView.
If You Will Graduate In:
Apply to Graduate By:
- Make sure you have grade modifications completed for any courses you have repeated. Once your degree is posted on your transcript, you cannot modify your grades.
- Make sure your name, address and phone number are listed correctly with UMSL. You can do this from your Student Center in MyView.
- RSVP to participate in the commencement ceremony if you want to walk. (Remember, this is separate from graduation.) You will receive an email with instructions for this when the RSVP site opens. PAY ATTENTION TO DEADLINES! Consult Commencement for updated information about the ceremony.
- Attend the Graduation Fair at the UMSL Triton Store to get your graduation apparel. You can order online.
- BSEd/P2 students: Retake the MOCA examination if needed.
- August Graduates: You have the option to participate in the May or December Ceremony. On your graduation application, please indicate the ceremony you plan to attend. If you plan to attend the May ceremony, you must apply by April 1.
Apply to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) for your Initial Teacher Certification
You must have completed all requirements particular to your situation, including achieving all required GPAs, completing all courses, minimum course grades, MEES (during Practicum 2) and MOCA exam.
Apply now to DESE for your Initial Professional Teaching Certification:
- Log in to your DESE Secured Web Application account
- You created this account when you applied for the MO Substitute Certification
- If you are having trouble signing in, please use the links on this website for assistance
- Select the Application: Initial Professional line on the left side of the screen
- An Initial Application Checklist will pop up on the screen. Make sure to review this checklist thoroughly to make sure all tasks are completed.
- While you are signed into the DESE system, check to make sure they have received ALL transcripts from colleges and universities you have attended and that your fingerprint check is up to date.
- Request an official UMSL transcript to be sent DIRECTLY to DESE from the National Student Clearinghouse
- BSEd Candidates: REQUEST THE “HOLD FOR DEGREE” OPTION. Your transcript MUST have your degree printed on it in order for DESE to issue your certification
- If possible, include your DESE Educator ID Number or SSN on all transcripts
TIMELINE: Total of 8 - 10 weeks. Your Initial Professional Certification should be posted to your DESE account by mid/late February for Fall graduates and mid/late July for Spring graduates. This is the normal timeline every semester, consisting of the following:
- Six weeks for UMSL to confer and record your grades and degree to official transcripts. This is done by the Registrar’s office and they confer degrees for the entire campus.
- After degrees are conferred, 2 weeks for processing
- Two weeks for DESE to process the application and post to your DESE account
Please keep in mind that the timeline could possibly take longer. DESE does not send/email any notifications about your certification status. It is your responsibility to frequently log in to your DESE account and check the status on your own.
Reach out to your advisor if you have any questions.